Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's STILL Rock and Roll to Me




Welcome to yet another corner of the Empire of the Weis Man of the Blogosphere (tm)! I am indebted to my children for the title of this one, and out of respect to the real friends and incredible musicians they were unintentionally maligning when they first uttered the phrase (which is somewhat longer than my title here!), I shall leave it at that!

Who am I? Your intrepid correspondent - Lawrence Peter Trax. My friends all call me LP -- and if you get the joke, then you truly ARE the target audience for what I envision this blog to become.

And what is that, you might ask? A place for those of us who are no longer in the prime demographic for music companies to talk about OUR music -- that "old time" RnR! Whether it is on a global top of the line scale, or a more local, garage band dads level, or anywhere in between. With summer rolling around, there are plenty of concert opportunities, and plenty to talk about.

And who, you ask, is LP Trax to take this on and pretend to sound like an expert? Well, that is EXACTLY the point. I am an amateur musician myself -- not one of the frustrated ones -- but someone who knows good music when he hears it -- from the seats or the stage. I am someone who has friends who are FARRR more talented than I am, which allows me to be surrounded by really good music. I am someone with 3 working turntables, and over 1100 tunes in my IPod -- so I am retro and almost up to speed technologically.

But most of all, I am the one, back in high school, when Dick Clark was first starting the American Music Awards, who had a friend whose dad did the counting of the votes. So every year, we got our ballots early, and turned it into an intense competition amongst ourselves to see whose taste matched America's most closely. And even though one of the other guys in our circle grew up to work in the music industry (and even helped to sign Matthew Sweet to his first contract!), most years I took home the prize at the end of the night.

As with all parts of the Weis Man Empire -- this blog will work best only when it has some significant following from people willing to share -- their own reviews and opinions, as well as participating in the series of polls I have in mind to kick things off!

So spread the word, and let's get this show started!

No comments:

Post a Comment